Ramapo files injunction to shutter house involved in CO scare

Posted: Updated:
MONSEY -

Town officials in Ramapo have filed an injunction with the state Supreme Court to shut down the house were seven people became ill from carbon monoxide.

Firefighters were called to a home on Thomas Drive Monday after reports that there were people inside the house unconscious. 

MORE: 7 hospitalized after carbon monoxide scare

Andrew Schlissel, the assistant chief of the Monsey Fire Department, says when they arrived on the scene they found extension cords wrapped around the stairwell going into multiple rooms. He says they were all hooked up to a generator sitting on the back porch. Firefighters also found several lit aluminum pans of charcoal.

"They had no windows open," says Schlissel. "All the windows were closed because it was cold."

Seven people, including children, were rushed to the hospital but no one was seriously hurt.

Ramapo inspectors have issued a slew of violations for safety issues found at the home. They also found four families living inside the single-family home. The town believes owners, Rivky and Yochanan Waldman, subdivided the house illegally.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."