Family members left homeless, loses pets in fire

Posted: Updated:
SUFFERN -

A family lost several pets after a fast-moving fire ripped through their house in Suffern on Wednesday.

Fire officials say flames broke out just after 1 p.m. at a home on Washington Avenue. The fire took several hours to get under control as crews from several different departments battled flames and heavy smoke that destroyed the home.

The homeowner, identified as Debbie McGhee, lived in the house along with her brother and three sons. One son was home when the fire started and he got out safely.

The family also had two dogs and three cats but only one of the cats survived, the rest perishing in the fire.
A space heater is suspected as the cause of the fire

Donations fund to help the family has been set up at the All Souls Community Church on Washington Avenue.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."