Fire damages Bedford Hills synagogue

Posted: Updated:
BEDFORD HILLS -

The Chabad Jewish Center of Bedford stood boarded up following a Tuesday afternoon electrical fire.

An electrical issue with a water cooler sparked the fire that ripped through the building, according to Rabbi Arik Wolf. There were no reported injuries.

"Just to come here and see it as a black, burnt-out shell -- to have your home almost burn down, it's painful," says Wolf.

According to reports, Bedford Hills firefighters and other departments battled the flames for nearly 30 minutes. Damage appeared to be worst on the left side of the building.

The center will remain closed for months. In the meantime, morning services were held at the Katonah Memorial House.

Wolf says they plan on moving to a new location in Bedford soon.

 

 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."