Retired Suffolk police commissioner Dormer has diedPosted: Updated:
Retired Suffolk Police Commissioner Richard Dormer has died.
Dormer's son tells Newsday he died Sunday at his home in Northport, after a three-year battle with cancer. He was 79 years old.
Dormer was police commissioner from 2004 until he retired in 2011.
He oversaw the investigation into the Gilgo Beach murders, and strengthened anti-gang policing. His tenure also saw a decrease in crime.
Dormer leaves behind his wife Barbara, two daughters, two sons, and eight grandchildren.
- A woman is in serious condition after being hit by a car that police say never stopped.A woman is in serious condition after being hit by a car that police say never stopped.
- Finance website 247wallst.com came out with a list of the highest paid governors in the U.S., and Gov. Andrew Cuomo was the second highest.
- Police in southeastern England say 39 people were found dead in a truck container believed to have come from Bulgaria.
- The Long Island Rail Road is running late with its next generation of train cars.The Long Island Rail Road is running late with its next generation of train cars.
- The boxers of "Long Island Fight for Charity" learned Tuesday night who their opponents will be.The boxers of "Long Island Fight for Charity" learned Tuesday night who their opponents will be.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Almost Home Animal Rescue & Adoption. The shelter is located at 646 Medford Ave. in Patchogue. Their phone number is (631) 627-3665.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- News 12's Stone Grissom is dishin' some fun T-shirts during his award-winning Dishin' Long Island segments! What fun shirt will he wear next?