Firefighter: Water bottles can set fire if left in hot carPosted: Updated:
Some first responders are warning drivers about leaving water bottles in their car.
They say that leaving a plastic bottle of water in a hot car in direct sunlight can start a fire in just a couple of minutes.
One firefighter upstate tested the theory - and says it's no myth.
"The water in the plastic creates a magnifying effect,” says firefighter Jay Symond. “It can essentially set upholstery on fire or a piece of plastic on fire."
- The MTA Board met for the first time since an inspector general audit found more cases of overtime abuse within the Long Island Rail Road.
- The final trailer for the "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" debuted Monday, offering a fleeting glimpse of the late Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia embracing Daisy Ridley's Rey.
- The New York Islanders have drafted a new Puppy with a Purpose for the 2019-20 season!The New York Islanders have drafted a new Puppy with a Purpose for the 2019-20 season!
- Today is National Nut Day! This food holiday celebrates the healthy and nutritious snacks.Today is National Nut Day! This food holiday celebrates the healthy and nutritious snacks.
- News 12's Elisa DiStefano gets tips on how to use pumpkins for your next party from Andrea Correale of Elegant Affairs.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Almost Home Animal Rescue & Adoption. The shelter is located at 646 Medford Ave. in Patchogue. Their phone number is (631) 627-3665.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- News 12's Stone Grissom is dishin' some fun T-shirts during his award-winning Dishin' Long Island segments! What fun shirt will he wear next?