YONKERS - Yonkers firefighters had a busy day yesterday battling at least two blazes in the city.

Fire officials say a kitchen fire happened around 9:30 p.m. in a basement apartment on Parkway North. It took about 50 firefighters nearly an hour to battle to the flames. No one was at home at the time of the fire, and residents in the rest of the building were let back in after being evacuated.

Earlier in the day, 40 firefighters battled a blaze on Gramatan Drive in Yonkers. Crews say the fire started in a ceiling space, but was confined to one room and put out quickly. Investigators say the fire was likely started by a faulty electrical outlet.

No one was hurt in either fire.