Fire ravages Somers home

The fire happened at 136 Route 202.

Emily Drooby

Dec 15, 2023, 9:57 PM

Updated 215 days ago

Share:

A fire in Somers left a home decimated and two families devastated.
It happened at 136 Route 202 in Somers, one of the neighboring homes received some damage to their shed.
The call first came into firefighters around 11 a.m. They tell News 12, they were quickly on the scene, but the home was already engulfed in flames and unstable.
No people were killed in the fire, but News 12 learned that a firefighter fell through into the basement while trying to fight the fire.
"We had a partial collapse when he tried making entry and he fell through the first floor into the basement. We were able to quickly get him out without any injuries," explained Gregory Lucia. He is the assistant chief for the Somers Volunteer Department. He says the firefighter is OK.
The home was owned by one family and rented by another. News 12 spoke with both of them.
"We lost all of our pets, everything we own," explained Tommy O'Connor. He lives in the home.
Two cats and a dog were in the house at the time of the fire, they're believed to be deceased. No humans were injured or killed in the fire.
O'Connor's mother also lives in the home, she is a healthcare worker who worked on the frontlines of the COVID pandemic.
"She's a single mom, she's been through a lot in these past couple of years. This is just another thing. She's raising these two kids," explained family friend Christene Maffucci.
Now the family has lost everything, including most of their Christmas presents.
News 12 also spoke with the family who owns the home. Off-camera, they said they're heartbroken. The home has been in their family for generations and they had hoped to continue to pass it down to future generations.
The Red Cross is currently helping people displaced by the fire.
A GoFundMe has also been set up for the fire victims.


More from News 12