Fire rips through multi-family home in New Square

Firefighters had a tricky time battling a fire at a multi-family home in New Square Thursday.
Investigators say the fire started in the basement and quickly spread up to the second floor of the house on Washington Avenue. Firefighters say it was tough to navigate through the two-story house because it was separated into apartments. All the residents got out safely before firefighters arrived.
The sheriff's arson investigators say the fire appears to be accidental. Investigators say a fluorescent light powered by an extension cord overheated and started the fire. Parts of the home were heavily damaged by smoke and water.