Fire sends 3 unattended children to hospital

A fire destroyed the top floor of a Newbold Avenue apartment Thursday, sending three kids to the hospital with minor injuries and leaving other tenants homeless.
Fire officials say the fire started at around 1:20 a.m. in an apartment on the sixth floor of the building at 1988 Newbold Ave. According to officials, there were three children in the apartment with no supervision.
The children were rescued and treated at Jacobi Medical Center for minor injuries.
"They were coughing and choking. We had to force entry and break the door down to get inside," says FDNY Deputy Chief Pete Leicht.
Some tenants lined up outside shocked, tired, upset - and homeless.
"It was unbelievable. It went from one side to the other side of the building. The entire roof is gone. It looks really bad," says Walter Calle, who lives in the building.
Some tenants say now that they don't have a place to live, they are trying to make living arrangements and hoping for the best. The Red Cross and Office of Emergency Management say they're available to help those affected by the fire, something tenants appreciate.
"I'm happy to see a lot of help. They responded quickly," says tenant James Walton.
Although tenants were relieved they made it out safely, they say it's frustrating that the children were left home alone. They say the kids aren't capable of handling these types of emergencies.