SCHOOL VOTE

Click or tap here for school budget vote results

Neighbors: Fourth of July sparkler caused holiday fire in Goshen

Village of Goshen Police say fireworks ignited a fire that condemned a home at 4 Corral Lane Monday night.

Blaise Gomez

Jul 5, 2022, 6:43 PM

Updated 686 days ago

Share:

What was supposed to be the end of a fun, holiday weekend quickly ended in a devastating fire for a mother and her three children in Goshen Monday. 
Village of Goshen Police say fireworks ignited a fire that condemned a home at 4 Corral Lane Monday night.
Orange County online records show the house is owned by Meredith Char, who neighbors say was home with two of her three children when the fire began.
Neighbors say one of the children was using a sparkler on the front porch that set fire to leaves beneath.
"Nothing like big bombs bursting," said Rajeev Chhabra, a neighbor. "Honestly, it seemed like harmless fun and one thing led to another."
Several neighbors ran over to help after they say it sparked a small fire.
They tried to find a working water hose, but the entire house quickly went up in flames.
“We just couldn’t get water going and it spread like a piece of loose-leaf paper,” said Chhabra. 
Police say Char and her two children home got out OK. 
The house is reduced to rubble and was condemned.
Neighbors say Char's oldest child just graduated from Goshen High School and was away celebrating on vacation.  
Eilleen Swift owns the home next door, which sustained minor damage in the fire.
“No one was hurt. This is damage," said Swift. "We can replace it. We can fix it. No lives were lost.” 
A GoFundMe page has raised thousands to help the Char family.


More from News 12