Neighbors try in vain to save Newburgh man from fire

Neighbors tried desperately to save a man from his burning apartment in Newburgh. Residents on the first and third floors of an apartment complex on Montgomery Street say thick smoke proved too difficult for them to overcome Tuesday night. The Newburgh Fire Department arrived within minutes and pulled the man out. He later died of severe burns.
The fire was contained to the victim?s bedroom. Fire officials say it was the seventh fire in the city since the start of the new year. They say almost all of the fires have been related to overworked heaters.