Parkchester blaze sends family of five to the hospital

A family of five, including two teenagers and a child, was injured in a fire at a Parkchester home Friday morning.
Fire officials say a kitchen stove left on overnight led to the fire in a first-floor apartment on Unionport Road. Several neighbors tried to help the victims, but window bars prevented them from getting inside. Firefighters were able to finally break the bars and get the family out.
The five people injured were taken to Jacobi Medical Center. Four victims were listed in critical condition. The fifth adult victim is listed in fair condition. Two victims were placed in the hyperbaric chamber.
According to the Department of Buildings, the house is zoned properly for four apartments and three are occupied.