What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's quiche lorraine
Chef Vinny Olivieri, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make quiche lorraine.
• 12 strips of cooked bacon chopped
• 2 cups grated Gruyere
• ½ cup diced Spanish onions
• 3 whole eggs
• ¼ cup heavy cream
• ½ tsp. grated nutmeg
• 1 tbs butter
• 9" deep pie shell
• 1 box Pie crusts
• Black pepper to taste
1. Preheat a medium saucepot to medium high heat. Add butter and diced onions. Stir often. Stir for 10-15 minutes or until onions begin to get soft and become slightly translucent. Set aside to cool.
2. Place pie shells into a preheated 375F degree oven for 5-7 minutes. Check often and pop any bubbles with a fork that might occur.
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl scramble egg and then combine eggs, Gruyere, chopped bacon, cooked onions, black pepper and nutmeg. Mix well to incorporate all ingredients
4. Place egg mix into pre-cooked pie shell. Place quiche onto a baking tray.
5. Place quiche into a pre-heated 325F for 30 minutes turning half way through to ensure even cooking.
6. Allow quiche to cool, serve room temperature with dressed mesclun salad.