Another Mount Vernon home ravaged by fire

A Mount Vernon family was left homeless Saturday after a blaze tore through their home on South 11th Avenue. The owner of the house, Tyro Allen Williams, says a space heater is to blame for the blaze.

News 12 Staff

May 28, 2014, 6:54 PM

Updated 3,652 days ago

Share:

Another Mount Vernon home ravaged by fire
A Mount Vernon family was left homeless Saturday after a blaze tore through their home on South 11th Avenue.
The owner of the house, Tyro Allen Williams, says a space heater is to blame for the blaze. According to Williams, the appliance malfunctioned and set his pants on fire, which later spread to the rest of the residence.
Neighbors say they saw Williams run five blocks to the nearest fire department to get help because he did not have a cellular phone.
This is the third fire in just one week in Mount Vernon. On Thanksgiving eve, a blaze inside a house on South 7th Avenue left three families homeless, and last Sunday, another home went up in flames.
The Red Cross is helping Williams with temporary shelter, food and clothing.


More from News 12