Authorities drop case against New City man charged in Capitol riots

Chris Kelly, 44, was arrested and accused of entering the U.S. Capitol after a source told the FBI about his social media posts.

News 12 Staff

Jun 2, 2021, 7:31 PM

Updated 1,117 days ago

Share:

The case against a New City man who had previously been accused of storming the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 has been dismissed.
Chris Kelly, 44, was arrested and accused of entering the U.S. Capitol after a source told the FBI about his social media posts.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Zia Faruqui agreed to dismiss the case against Kelly after prosecutors said in a court filing on Tuesday that they discussed the merits of the case with Kelly's lawyer and decided that ending the prosecution “serves the interests of justice” based on “the facts currently known to the government.”
Kelly was arrested in New York on Jan. 20 and faced charges of obstructing an official proceeding, aiding and abetting, violent entry and disorderly conduct, and unlawful entry to restricted buildings or grounds.
Kelly was unable to speak with News 12, but his lawyer said he is pleased with the outcome - and hopes Mr. Kelly can now go back to work and start to rebuild his life.
Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.


More from News 12