Fire destroys Lake Peekskill home

Fire officials say the blaze that destroyed a home at 98 Pleasant Road was likely caused by strong winds blowing a lit cigarette into an open window. Neighbors say the fire started shortly after 9 p.m.

News 12 Staff

May 27, 2014, 9:43 PM

Updated 3,650 days ago

Share:

Fire destroys Lake Peekskill home
Fire officials say the blaze that destroyed a home at 98 Pleasant Road was likely caused by strong winds blowing a lit cigarette into an open window.
Neighbors say the fire started shortly after 9 p.m. Saturday, and within one hour the house was incinerated. Some report hearing explosions.
Although firefighters couldn't save the burning log cabin, they did keep the flames from hitting other houses endangered by the strong winds.
The cabin's owners, the Healy family, were on vacation in California when the fire started. MaryAnne Healy, a relative, says the family flies back Monday. The community, meanwhile, will be taking donations to help the family rebuild.


More from News 12