Fire rips through Mohegan Lake pet store killing six puppies

A fire ripped through a Mohegan Lake pet store killing six puppies and causing surrounding business to shut down temporarily.
The blaze began Monday evening at the American Breeders shop on East Main Street, located next to a fire station. Firefighters say the cause of the fire was electrical and started in the basement. Fire officials used the fire station as a staging area for all the pets. Fifteen puppies were brought to the Katonah Bedford Veterinary Center in Bedford. Dr. Alan Green says members of his staff worked tirelessly to save the pets, but the owner opted to put down six puppies after they suffered from severe smoke inhalation.
The Assistant Fire Chief says the owner also took 30 dogs from the firehouse with him and may have sought care for them in the Bronx.