Headlines: Man arrested for bringing loaded handgun to airport, deadly Nyack crash, paraglider crash

Here are some stories making headlines across the Hudson Valley.

Jun 1, 2023, 10:08 AM

Updated 363 days ago


Here are some stories making headlines across the Hudson Valley.
Transportation Security Administration officers stopped a man from Hamilton County from bringing a loaded handgun onto a flight at Westchester County Airport on Tuesday, authorities say. Officials say the man's .380 caliber handgun was loaded with six bullets. They say he also had multiple credit cards, each with a different name on them, when he was arrested on weapons charges. TSA says the man was caught as he entered a security checkpoint, when an X-ray unit alerted a TSA officer to inspect the contents of the carry-on bag. The man also faces a financial penalty that can be up to $15,000 for bringing a gun to a TSA security checkpoint. Officials say this was the fourth gun that TSA officers have detected at the airport security checkpoint so far this year, which already ties the number caught in 2022.
Clarkstown police say a driver was charged with reckless endangerment in a fatal accident Tuesday night. Police say it happened around 7:15 p.m. on Route 59 and Broome Boulevard, near the Hub Shopping Center in Nyack.Police say an Audi sedan described by witnesses as driving in a reckless manner at a high rate of speed was headed westbound when it struck a Ford Edge going eastbound. The female driver of the Edge was pronounced dead at Nyack Hospital. No names have been released, and the accident remains under investigation.
Police in the Town of Warwick say a paraglider was injured when they hit a tree in Warwick on Wednesday. They say they got a report of a small aircraft down in a field off Pulaski Highway around 6:30 a.m. Police on the scene say it turned out to be a motorized paraglider from New Jersey who hit a tree near a farm at Micks Lane and Mount Eve Road. They say the 25-year-old suffered minor leg injuries and was taken to a hospital. There was no damage to any property on the ground.

More from News 12