Mattress fire leads to code violations at Middletown hotel

A fire at a Middletown hotel sparked an investigation into fire safety Friday.
Firefighters responded to a call about a smoldering mattress outside the Globe Hotel on North Street. Authorities say the mattress caught fire in a tenant?s third-floor bedroom while smoking and the tenant threw it off the fire escape. The tenant put out the flames with a fire extinguisher, but the mattress later started to smolder. Although the damage was minor, fire officials say they found that some of the hotel?s smoke detectors did not work.
Code enforcement officials say the owners have until Monday to fix the problems or the hotel will be closed. The Globe has had several code violations over the years.