What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's grilled eggplant stacks
Chef Giovanni Farruggio, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make grilled eggplant stacks.
- 1 eggplant (cut into ½ inch rounds)
- 6 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 6 slices of roasted pepper
- 6 slices of tomato
- ¼ olive oil
- 1 tbs balsamic glaze
- 6 basil leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
1. Lay out the eggplant rounds, fresh mozzarella, tomato slices and roasted pepper on a tray.
2. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt.
3. Place the eggplant rounds on to a hot grill pan.
4. Grill the eggplant rounds until they have deep grill marks and are soft.
5. Remove from grill and let cool slightly.
6. Once the eggplant is cool you can begin to layer the stacks.
7. Place one eggplant round on to a plate.
8. Top with a slice of tomato.
9. Top the tomato with a slice of mozzarella.
10. Top the mozzarella with a slice of roasted pepper.
11. Top the roasted pepper with one basil leaf.
12. Repeat this process once more to complete the first stack.
13. Continue this process to complete three stacks.
14. Once all stacks are complete, top with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of parsley.