Headlines: Crash victim award $8M, missing Putnam man, bomb threat at high school

Here are some stories making headlines across the Hudson Valley.

News 12 Staff

Feb 13, 2024, 12:19 PM

Updated 107 days ago


Here are some stories making headlines across the Hudson Valley.
An $8 million settlement has been awarded to the guardian of a young woman who sustained a traumatic brain injury in a car crash in 2015. The incident occurred when the woman, then 14 years old, was a passenger in a stolen van that collided head-on with another vehicle while being pursued by the police on Warburton Avenue. Tragically, both drivers involved in the crash lost their lives. According to the woman's attorney, she, now 22, has been rendered incapable of performing any tasks independently and will require round-the-clock care at a rehabilitation facility for the remainder of her life. Legal action was initiated against the city and police department in 2016, and after years of litigation, a settlement was finally reached last summer. The $8 million settlement aims to provide financial support for the ongoing care and assistance needed by the woman due to her severe injuries.
Putnam County officials are urgently seeking the public's help in locating 26-year-old Colin Albert Marma, who has been reported missing. Marma is known to struggle with mental health issues and may require medical attention. He was last seen on Feb. 2, wearing a black sweatshirt, black gym pants, red sneakers, and a black baseball cap. Additionally, the 2004 Mercedes he was driving has been located in Manhattan. Anyone with information regarding Colin Albert Marma's whereabouts is urged to contact the Putnam County Sheriff's Office at (845) 225-4300.
Yonkers police are currently investigating a bomb threat that occurred at Riverside High School Monday, resulting in the evacuation of the school. Police, along with K-9 units, conducted a thorough search of the campus but did not find any credible threat. Special Education Teacher Jayme Downes commented on the situation, stating that measures were taken to ensure the safety of everyone on the premises. Despite the disruption, classes were able to resume in the afternoon once authorities determined that the threat had been thoroughly investigated and cleared

More from News 12