High carbon monoxide levels force Bronx evacuation

Residents of 2830 Olinville Ave. were rushed out in the cold Sunday morning due to dangerous carbon monoxide levels.
Tenants say their electricity went out around 7 a.m. shortly before their battery-operated carbon monoxide detectors went off. Con Edison officials say they had problems fighting a manhole fire because a car was parked on top of the spot. The delay caused carbon monoxide to seep into the nearby building.
Firefighters evacuated half of the building, while the other tenants were just advised to open their windows. MTA buses stood by to keep residents warm as they waited.
High levels of carbon monoixde can cause serious headaches and flu-like symptoms, however, no one was injured in the incident.
Con Edison expected to have all residents back in their units sometime Sunday once the building was completely aired out.