Putnam County police warn about life insurance mail scam

The Putnam County Sheriff's Department says a resident received a fake letter in the mail from a Canadian law firm.

News 12 Staff

May 31, 2023, 2:22 AM

Updated 364 days ago

Share:

Putnam County officials are raising red flags about a life insurance scam. 
The Putnam County Sheriff's Department says a resident received a fake letter in the mail from a Canadian law firm.
The letter claims there is an unclaimed life insurance policy worth 11 million euros held by their deceased client who died three years ago due to COVID-19. 
The letter asks for consent to be in partnership to claim the policy benefit due to the similarity in last name and nationality with the deceased.
The letter claims that 10% of the money will be shared among charity organizations while the remaining 90% will be shared between the recipient and the sender.
Police say everything in this letter is a scam. 
Investigators say you should ignore unsolicited letters or emails claiming you have inherited money or assets from someone you don't know.
Do not send any personal information, money or payment information. Lastly, do not agree to any partnership.


More from News 12