What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's homestyle brisket
Chef Vinny Olivieri, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make homestyle brisket.
• 3-4 lb Brisket
• 3 large onion (sliced thin)
• 4 large carrots (sliced into rounds on a bias)
• 1 qt beef stock
• 3 Tbs granulated onion
• 1 Tbs granulated garlic
• 1 Tbs kosher salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 1 tsp mustard powder
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 Tbs neutral oil
1. In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together granulated onion, granulated garlic, paprika and mustard powder. Set aside.
2. Preheat a large braising pan on medium high heat. Add oil.
3. Evenly season brisket with salt and pepper.
4. Place brisket into preheated pan. Brown all sides. 4-5 minutes per side.
5. Remove brisket from pan, coat in spice mixture.
6. Place sliced onions and carrots into same pan. Using a wooden spoon scrape up all pan fond and sauté veg for 10-12 minutes or until onions are browned.
7. Place seasoned seared brisket back into pan with onions and carrots.
8. Add beef stock to pan.
9. Cover pan tightly and place in a pre-heated 325*F oven for 3-3 ½ hrs.
10. Remove brisket from oven. Remove brisket from pan, place on cutting board and allow to set for 10 minutes.
11. Slice brisket perpendicular to the grain.
12. Serve with pan gravy, onions and carrots.