What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's Mafalda pasta pesto
Chef Giovanni Farruggio, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make Mafalda pasta pesto.
2 cups fresh basil leaves (no stems)
2 tablespoons pine nuts
3 large cloves garlic
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese
1. Combine basil leaves, pine nuts or walnuts and garlic in a food processor and process until very finely minced.
2. With the machine running slowly dribble in the oil and process until the mixture is smooth.
3. Add the cheese and process very briefly, just long enough to combine. Store in refrigerator.
2 cups pesto sauce
2 large cloves of garlic sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
3 tbs olive oil
2 tbs Pecorino Romano
1 tsp pine nuts
I lb. Mafalda pasta
1. Cook and cool pasta. Toss with one tablespoon of oil and set aside
2. Heat oil in sauté pan and add garlic and sauté until golden.
3. Add tomatoes and cook for three minutes.
4. Add the pesto sauce and heat to a simmer.
5. Add pasta to the sauté pan and heat in the sauce.
6. Remove from heat and plate.
7. Garnish with pecorino and pine nuts.