Fire forces Rockland elementary school to switch to remote learning

Students at a Rockland County school are learning from home today after a fire in their building over the weekend.
School officials say an electrical transformer outside the building failed, causing the electrical master board inside the building to short-circuit around 11:30 p.m. Saturday.
That triggered the fire alarm. Firefighters say they found heavy smoke coming from the back of the building, as well as smoke and sparks coming from several electrical panels inside the boiler room.
Crews were able to quickly get it under control before there was any damage to the rest of the building.
Power had to be completely shut down by Orange & Rockland Utilities.
O & R officials tell News 12 repairs must be made and an inspection performed before it can turn the power back on. There's no word yet as to how long it will be before that happens or when students can return to in-person learning
School officials posted information on the school's website that students would be learning from home for now and security was at the school to inform parents who may not have seen the notice.
School officials posted a notice saying students are to follow their regular schedules and log on to Schoology for instructions from their teacher.
Meal distribution will be held from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. this morning at the Grandview Elementary School Monsey and at Central Kitchen in Spring Valley.
School officials say they are closely working with Orange & Rockland Utilities to try and figure out exactly how long repairs to the boiler room and electrical panels will take.