Climbers on George Washington Bridge snarl traffic

Headlines: Granddaughter scam exposed, men in ski masks prompt alert, gun trafficking charges

Here are some stories making headlines across the Hudson Valley.

News 12 Staff

Mar 5, 2024, 11:40 AM

Updated 74 days ago


Here are some stories making headlines across the Hudson Valley.
Police have apprehended a suspect who posed as a lawyer and called a resident, falsely claiming that the resident's granddaughter had been arrested. The suspect then demanded cash to secure the granddaughter's release from custody. Law enforcement revealed that the suspect coordinated with hired drivers to collect envelopes of cash from the victim on three separate occasions during the day. Upon realizing he had been scammed, the victim contacted his granddaughter, prompting an investigation. Police successfully detained one of the hired drivers involved in the scheme. With the collaboration of the NYPD, law enforcement devised a sting operation involving a decoy envelope. When the suspect allegedly took the decoy, he was promptly arrested.
Rye police are urging residents to secure their vehicles following reports of suspicious activity over the weekend. Several neighbors reported observing two individuals driving a black Jeep in the area. According to reports, the individuals were observed attempting to gain unauthorized access to parked cars by checking door handles. Witnesses noted that the suspects wore ski masks and were seen lurking around before 10 a.m. Upon the arrival of law enforcement patrols, the suspects fled the scene in their vehicle. Authorities are advising residents to remain vigilant and ensure their vehicles are properly locked to deter potential break-ins.
Rylan Peterson, 22, a former Marine Corps private from Kingston, has pleaded guilty to gun trafficking charges in federal court. Prosecutors revealed that Peterson admitted to providing false information to obtain firearms illegally from a licensed dealer. Authorities stated that Peterson acquired the firearms in North Carolina and transported them to New York. He now faces a potential sentence of up to 25 years in prison, with his sentencing scheduled for July.

More from News 12