Arrests made after officer accidentally overdoses on fentanyl

Michael Graham, 37, was taken into custody Thursday after an investigation by the Dutchess County Drug Task Force and City of Poughkeepsie police.

Blaise Gomez

Sep 15, 2023, 11:26 AM

Updated 307 days ago


A man who police say sold the fentanyl-laced drugs that caused the accidental overdose of a City of Poughkeepsie police officer Wednesday is under arrest.
Michael Graham, 37, was taken into custody Thursday after an investigation by the Dutchess County Drug Task Force and City of Poughkeepsie police. He was found to be in possession of a large quantity of crack-cocaine and fentanyl that was packaged and ready for sale, according to officials.
City of Poughkeepsie police say his arrest follows a near-fatal incident involving one of their officers who suffered an accidental overdose Wednesday afternoon while responding to a report of people using narcotics in a vehicle on Mill Street.
Police say drug paraphernalia was in plain sight, and as the car was searched, an officer was exposed to fentanyl, and immediately began to suffer an overdose.
Officials say the officer self-administered a dose of Narcan and radioed for additional units to help. He was rushed to Mid-Hudson Regional Hospital as he began to lose consciousness in a marked patrol unit and was assisted into the emergency room by fellow officers, according to police.
Authorities say a second dose of Narcan was administered by hospital staff and the officer was treated and released several hours later after further medical treatment.
“Drug dealers selling this poison that puts everyone at risk will be aggressively targeted by the Drug Task Force. This is an example of that,” said the Dutchess County Drug Task Force in a statement shared to Facebook. “The Dutchess County Drug Task Force is warning residents of Dutchess County that drugs like crack-cocaine that are mixed with fentanyl are not just deadly to the individual struggling with drug addiction, but are dangerous to everyone that may incidentally have contact with this poison."
A person inside the vehicle during the incident on Wednesday, David Reid, age 35, was arrested at the scene and charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance and reckless endangerment. Reid was processed and released on an appearance ticket.
The City of Poughkeepsie PBA released a statement on Facebook saying, “This incident serves as a poignant reminder of the dangers that our members face on a daily basis. Approximately 10 seconds elapsed from the time the fentanyl was located to the time the officer experienced the effects. The officer was able to self-administer Narcan less than 30 seconds after the initial exposure. The presence of mind that this officer showed in order to recognize what was happening, to react to it, and to call for additional assistance is astounding. As always, our officers acted professionally and courageously, and we are grateful for the outcome. The City of Poughkeepsie PBA would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to the staff at Mid-Hudson Regional Hospital for their prompt action. Our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery are with our officer and his family.”

More from News 12